How Solar Works: Solar 101
The U.S. is home to more than 2 million solar PV installations as of 2019
That tally is expected to double by 2023 to over 4 million. Solar energy for your home allows you to own your solar production instead of renting it from the electric company. The rent that our utilities charge increases every year. The payment for your solar system is fixed.
95% of all solar installations are grid-tied systems that include a Net-Metering agreement with your utility company.
Here’s How Net-Metering works:
1. Solar panels mounted on the roof of a house generate electricity.
2. The electricity generated is converted into power that the house can use first.
3. The extra power is sent to the grid so we can use it on super-bad weather days and shorter days in the winter.
4. Net-Metered customers receive credit for the excess energy sent to the grid.
5. The power company tracks the (+)’s during the day and the (-)’s at night when we can’t make power.